Taken and simplified slightly from the "I Nom Things" blog (http://www.inomthings.com/?p=1905), this is a delicious recipe for a cucumber "pesto" style topping that can be used on crostini, sandwiches, or just eaten on it's own. I recommend doubling this recipe, and storing the leftovers in the fridge to use for lunches and snacking throughout the week. It's delicious, quick, and healthy!
From Papa Spud's:
1.25 lbs. pickling cucumbers (can use slicing cucumbers as well)
4 garlic cloves
large handful fresh basil
1/2 cup almonds (sliced if possible)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper
1) Grate cucumbers coarsely. Mix with sea salt, then set aside in a colander to drain. Cucumbers will create a lot of water when you grate them.
2) Finely chop garlic and basil, mix together.
3) Toast almonds, then chop finely.
4) Mix grated cucumbers, garlic and basil, chopped almonds, grated parmesan, lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
5) Chill in refrigerator before serving. Serve over crostini, on sandwiches, or enjoy on it's own!